Thursday, April 28, 2011

Creme Brulee French Toast (overnight)

*This is not GF as written, and I have yet to try with GF bread*
1/2 C butter, melted (I use earth balance, works fine)
1 C brown sugar
2 T maple syrup
French bread sliced into 1 inch slices, enough for one layer in a 9x13
4 eggs
1 1/2 C half and half or milk (I use almond)
2 t vanilla
1) Combine the butter, brown sugar and syrup. Pour into bottom of 9x13 baking dish.
2) Add bread to fit over butter mixture.
3) Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refridgerate overnight.
4) (In the morning.) Preheat oven to 350*F. Bring to room temperature. (I don't always do this because of time but it does cook much better when I do.)
5) Cook until puffy and lightly browned, about 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly and invert when serving.

Never had it puff like this before!

Became "normal" again as it cooled a bit.

Finished product. No syrup necessary!


No comments:

Post a Comment